Educate primary care physicians and other health professionals on ongoing monitoring and screening guidelines (i.e., screening at 9, 18, 24, and 30 months) and the selection and use of screening tools.
- Objective 1a: Outline trainings according to best practices and incorporate resources for healthcare provider education on screening tools.
- Objective 1b: Coordinate screening awareness efforts with the Georgia Chapter of the AAP and Georgia Academy of Family Physicians (AFP) to include the importance of early intervention.
- Objective 1c: Promote web-based tools and curricula for professional development of practitioners (e.g., Autism NavigatorTM and Autism Case Training Curriculum).
- Objective 1d: Encourage training of medical residents in early identification and screening.
- Objective 1e: Encourage the incorporation of autism-specific content in curricula for future professionals (e.g., therapists, physicians.)
Develop mechanisms to share screening results across systems of care to facilitate referral and diagnosis, thereby improving timely access to services for families.
- Objective 2a: Identify systems of care where screening is routinely being carried out to identify opportunities to streamline information sharing and collaboration.
- Objective 2b: Collaborate with Easter Seals to facilitate sharing of results from online administration of the Ages and Stages Questionnaires® with primary care providers in a format consistent with Bright Futures guidelines and medical record requirements.
Increase outreach and awareness efforts on the importance of early screening among families in Georgia, particularly those in historically underserved populations, including culturally and geographically diverse families.
- Objective 3a: Collaborate with family-centered community agencies to ensure that outreach and training on the Learn The Signs. Act Early. campaign reaches underserved communities.
- Objective 3b: Design, implement, and evaluate an outreach program in rural communities to enhance access to screening at recommended time points using mobile electronic devices and web-based tools.
- Objective 3c: Encourage the development of culturally and linguistically appropriate trainings and materials to be conducted and disseminated throughout the state of Georgia.