- Council on Children with Disabilities; Section on Developmental Behavioral Pediatrics; Bright Futures Steering Committee; Medical Home Initiatives for Children With Special Needs Project Advisory Committee. Identifying infants and young children with developmental disorders in the medical home: an algorithm for developmental surveillance and screening. Pediatrics. 2006; 118(1): 405–420
- Bethell C, Reuland C, Schor E, Abrahms M, and Halfon N. Rates of Parent-Centered Developmental Screening: Disparities and Links to Services Access. Pediatrics. 2011; 128: 146- 155.
- Wiggins LD, Baio J, Scheive L, Lee L, Nicholas J, & Rice CE. Retention of Autism Spectrum Diagnoses by Community Professionals: Findings From the Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, 2000 and 2006. Journal of Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics. 2012; 33(5): 387-395.
- Howlin P, Asgharian A. The diagnosis of autism and Asperger syndrome: findings from a survey of 770 families. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology. 1999; 41: 834-839.
- Regalado M, Halfon N. Primary care services promoting optimal child development from birth to age 3 years. Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine. 2001; 155: 1311-1322.
- Dawson G, Rogers SJ, Munson J, et al. Randomized, controlled trial of an intervention for toddlers with autism: the Early Start Denver Model. Pediatrics. 2010; 125: e17-e23.
- Casey LB, Elswick SE. The Social Worker’s Role In the Assessment of Autism Spectrum Disorder. Children & Schools. 2011; 33(3): 176-183.
- Mandell DS, Wiggins LD, Carpenter LA, et al. Racial/Ethnic Disparities in the Identification of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Am J Pub Health. 2009; 99(3): 493-498.
- Fountain C, King MD, Bearman PS. Age of diagnosis for autism: individual and community factors across 10 birth cohorts. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2011; 65(6): 503-510. doi: 10.1136/jech.2009.104588
- Siklos S, Kerns KA. Assessing the diagnostic experiences of a small sample of parents of children with autism spectrum disorders. Res Dev Disabilities. 2007; 28: 9–22.
- Moh TA, Magiati I. Factors associated with parental stress and satisfaction during the process of diagnosis of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Res Autism Spect Disord. 2012; 6(1): 293- 303.
- Fisher K. Is There Anything to Smile about? A Review of Oral Care for Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities. Nurs Res Pract. 2011; 2012: 1-6. doi:10.1155/2012/860692
- Weil TN, Inglehart MR. Dental Education and Dentists’ Attitudes and Behavior Concerning Patients with Autism. J Dent Educ. 2010; 74(12): 1249-1307.
- McGuinn-Shapiro M. Medicaid Coverage of Adult Dental Services. State Health Policy Monitor. 2008; 2(2): 1-6. Available at: http://nashp.org/sites/default/files/Adult%20Dental%20Monitor.pdf?q=files/Adult%20Dental%2 0Monitor.pdf Accessibility verified January 8, 2013.
- Brachlow AE, Ness KK, McPheeters ML, Gurney JG. Comparison of Indicators for a Primary Care Medical Home Between Children With Autism or Asthma and Other Special Health Care Needs: National Survey of Children’s Health. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2007; 161(4): 399-405. doi:10.1001/archpedi.161.4.399
- Levy SE, Giarelli E, Lee L, Schieve LA, Kirby RS, Cunniff C, et al. Autism Spectrum Disorder and Co- occurring Developmental, Psychiatric, and Medical Conditions Among Children in Multiple Populations of the United States. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2010; 31(4): 267-275.
- Wodehouse G, McGill P. Support for family carers of children and young people with developmental disabilities and challenging behaviour: what stops it being helpful? J Intellect Disability Res. 2009; 53(7): 644-653. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2788.2009.01163.x
- Suppo J, Floyd K. Parent Training for Families Who Have Children with Autism: A Review of the Literature. Rural Special Education Quarterly. 2012; 31(2): 12-26.
- Meadan H, Halle JW, Ebata AT. Families With Children Who Have Autism Spectrum Disorders: Stress and Support. Exceptional Children.2010; 77(1): 7-36.
- Dawson G, Jones EJH, Merkle K, et al. Early Behavioral Intervention is Associated with Normalized Brain Activity in Young Children with Autism. J Am Acad Child & Adolesc Psychiatry. 2012; 51(11): 1150-1159.
- Georgia Department of Community Health, Division of Public Health, Office of Maternal and Child Health, Children and Youth with Special Needs Unit. Babies Can’t Wait/Part C Annual Performance Report FFY 2009. 2011. Available at: http://health.state.ga.us/pdfs/bcw/Georgia_FFY_2009_APR_Final.pdf Accessibility verified January 8, 2013.
- Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning. “Georgia’s Pre-K Program Content Standards.” Available at: http://decal.ga.gov/documents/attachments/content_standards_full.pdf Accessibility verified January 8, 2013.
- Spigel S. OLR Research Report: Medicaid Autism Waivers and State Agencies Serving People with Autism. 2007. Available at: http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0319.htm. Accessibility verified December 14, 2012.
- Gay D. Part B State Annual Performance Report for FFY 2010. 2012. Department of Education.
- Morrier MJ, Hess KL, Heflin LJ. Teacher Training for Implementation of Teaching Strategies for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Teacher Education and Special Education: The Journal of the Teacher Education Division of the Council for Exceptional Children. 2011; 34(2): 119-132.
- Mazurik-Charles R & Stefanou C. Using Paraprofessionals to Teach Social Skills to Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders in the General Education Classroom. Journal of Instructional Psychology. 2010; 37(2): 161-169.
- Bander DR, Hart SL, Liu-Gitz L. Impact of training peers and children with autism on social skills during center time activities in inclusive classrooms. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders. 2010; 4: 619-625.
- Ruble LA, Heflinger CA, Renfrew JW, Saunders RC. Access and Service Use by Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders in Medicaid Managed Care. J Autism Dev Disord. 2005; 35(1): 3-13.
- Montes G, Halterman JS. Child Care Problems and Employment Among Families With Preschool-Aged Children With Autism in the United States. Pediatrics. 2008; 122: e202-e209. doi: 10.1542/peds.2007-3037
- Eskow K, Pineles L, Summers JA. Exploring the Effect of Autism Waiver Services on Family Outcomes. Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Disabilities. 2011; 8(1): 28-35.
- Zafft C, Hart D, Zimbrich K. College Career Connection: A Study of Youth with Intellectual Disabilities and the Impact of Postsecondary Education. Education and Training in Developmental Disabilities. 2004; 39(1): 45-53. Available at: http://daddcec.org/Portals/0/CEC/Autism_Disabilities/Research/Publications/Education_Training _Development_Disabilities/2004v39_Journals/ETDD_200403v39n1p045- 053_College_Career_Connection_A_Study_Youth_With_Intellectual.pdf Accessibility verified January 8, 2013.
- Lifespan Family Research Program. Report 15: Quality of Life of Adolescents and Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder. 2012. Available at: http://www.waisman.wisc.edu/family/reports/autism/Reports15.pdfAccessibility verified January 8, 2013.
- Reinke T. Community Living and Housing Options for Adults with Disabilities. Exceptional Parent. 2009; (39)12: 33-35.
- Shattuck PT, Wagner M, Narendorf S, Sterzing P, Hensley M. Post-High School Service Use Among Young Adults With an Autism Spectrum Disorder. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2011; 165(2): 141-146. doi:10.1001/archpediatrics.2010.279
- US Department of Homeland Security. Nationwide Plan Review: Phase 2 Report. 2006. Available at: http://www.in.gov/ipsc/files/Prep_NationwidePlanReview.pdf. Accessibility verified December 12, 2012.
- Portland Police Bureau. Disability Accommodation Registry. 2012. Available at: http://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/141124. Accessibility verified December 12, 2012.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Household Preparedness for Public Health Emergencies —14 States, 2006–2010. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2012; 61(36): 713-719.
- Baker MD, Baker LR, Flagg LA. Preparing Families of Children With Special Health Care Needs for Disasters: An Education Intervention. Social Work in Health Care. 2012; 51(5): 417-429.
- Teagardin J, Dixon DR, Smith MN, Granpeesheh. Randomized trial of law enforcement training on autism spectrum disorders. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders. 2012; 6(3): 1113–1118.
- Martin AJ, Mims T. Autism Awareness for Responders. Fire Engineering, 2009: 56-58.
- Curry K, Posluszny M, Draska S. Training Criminal Justice Personnel to Recognize Offenders with Disabilities. Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services News In Print. 1993; 5(3): 4-8.
Last Updated 03/07/14
Center for Leadership in Disability
Urban Life Building
140 Decatur Street SE
Atlanta, GA 30303