AUCD Leadership Academy
The Association of University Centers on Disability (AUCD) and the Center for Leadership in Disability (CLD) are proud to present the
5th Annual AUCD LEADERSHIP ACADEMY
June 21-25, 2021
WHAT is the AUCD Leadership Academy?
WHEN will the AUCD Leadership Academy take place?
- April 1, 2021
- April 15, 2021
- April 29, 2021
- May 13, 2021
- May 27, 2021
- June 10, 2021
The dates for the online intensive for 2021 will be Monday, June 21st through Friday, June 25th. The online intensive will meet via Zoom from 11:30 pm through 5:00 pm (EST) and will include multiple breaks. (Each day will begin with an optional opportunity for mindfulness/meditation at 11:00 am (EST)
The time together will be a mix of large group/small group interactions along with some time for individual reflection. We are excited about the range of opportunities the pandemic has invited us to adapt and create. We hope that after you finish reading this note you will be excited too and a little bit curious about what we are proposing.
WHERE will the AUCD Leadership Academy intensive be located?
HOW much does the AUCD Leadership Academy cost?
WHO should apply?
Accommodations and Support
Final application deadline: March 1, 2021; Decisions will be made by March 15, 2021.
The COVID-19 pandemic has required resilience and innovation for all of us, presenting its own set of unprecedented leadership challenges. We hope that the 2021 AUCD Leadership Academy experience will provide a time to reflect on what we’ve learned and how we will continue to adapt to future challenges.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if we can answer questions.
WHAT TO EXPECT: CONTENT AREAS
Courage and Renewal (Courage to Lead)
History of Disability and Civil Rights
Building Partnerships and Collective Impact
Self-Awareness and Leadership
Participants are expected to participate in a variety of learning opportunities:
- Short readings designed to orient trainees to core concepts prior to the in-person training
- Webinars occurring before and after the in-person training
- Strengths assessment activities
- Visit to the National Center for Civil and Human Rights
- Leadership Coaching and Leadership Self Reflecting ALLY relationships
- Individual and group-based reflection
- Group discussions and structured forums
- Goal setting
WHAT ARE THE GOALS OF THE AUCD LEADERSHP ACADEMY?
- Develop participants’ self-awareness of leadership strengths.
- Provide a forum for discerning professional and organization values, vision, and core commitments.
- Support participants’ resilience and integrity to sustain a commitment to solving complex social issues.
- Create a community of leaders and advocates that recognizes and honors differences and diversity.
WHAT IS LEADERSHIP COACHING?
- Participate in an orientation designed to introduce coaches to the AUCD Leadership Academy and its coaching component
- Support trainee in growing leadership skills and achieving leadership goals identified via participation in the AUCD Leadership Academy (see above for more information about goals)
- Model leadership skills, deliver strengths-based feedback, provide psychosocial support, aid networking, and facilitate problem-solving
- Meet formally at least 4 times; also provide at least one opportunity for trainee to observe the coach’s leadership skills and observe the trainee once
WHAT IS A LEADERSHIP SELF-REFLECTION ALLY?
- Monthly telephone call
- Reflecting upon leadership strengths and weaknesses and growing leadership skills